Saturday 17 July 2021

Slowing The Pace

Hello there!

I spent a little time this week to head out to Thetford Forest for a walk.

Specifically to enjoy a slow, mindful walk.

Because a gentle stroll in the woods is the easiest thing in the world to do, right? 

Well not quite...

There are a few things to do, before a person can fully immerse themselves.

The main thing is to adjust the walking pace. 

Now, like all badgers, I am quick on me paws. So I have to slow down.  A lot.

This helps to reconnect the senses with nature. A person can...

  • Feel every footstep.  Which is less harsh than the quick jolt of the joints I get on a route march.  There is a softness underfoot.  To the point where you almost sense each invidual leaf or twig and where it is.
And if you want to touch tree bark, feel the leaves, or indulge in hugging trees, then that's all good too!
  • Breathe in the scents.  When rushing, the nose and lungs are too busy being mechanical.  Going slow allows each damp woodland scent to be absorbed, processed and fully enjoyed.

  • Hear more. I hear more birdsong and the sound of deer rustling through ferns. The birds are no longer a mass of quick merged tweets.  They are seperated into their distinctive calls.  My ears can get a better fix on where they are, which means that I can...
  • Observe more. I see more and spend more time watching the wildlife.  At a slow speed it is easier to stop and still oneself.  I can pause to be mesmirised by a butterfly or dragonfly, or enjoy the coy nature of a Jay as it moves through the forest.

And this is not easy when a person feels they need to move quickly, exercise harder, be more intense.

In my experience, it is always the mind pushing me on to go faster, obsessing about personal bests and beating targets.

I'm not able to offer advice on how to still the mind.  But there are lots of good resources out there. 

However, what I do know is that slowing the pace does help shift the brain down a few gears.   

When that happens, then some good stuff starts to creep in.

Stuff worth embracing.

Creative stuff.

Take this picture of the Heathland:

Walk in Thetford Forest
 
I normally wouldn't have a footpath marker post in a photo.  
 
But this time I did, because I was going slow.
 
So my perspective and thoughts had shifted, just by a little.  Perhaps by a fraction of one degree.
 
Enough to view it through fresh eyes.
 
Equally, for this picture of The Bliss Mausoleum:

 Walk in Thetford Forest

I've trudged past it on several occasions over the years.

Never given it a second glance. 

But - and you can probably guess what I'm going to say here - because I was going slow, I could apprecaite the flowers, and the way the building was framed by the trees.

So slowing the pace is not only good for your health, its great for your creativity.
 
Give it a go the next time you're out and about.  
 
And let me know what your thoughts and experiences are in the comments. I'd love to hear from you.

Cheerio for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summertime Lethargy

Hello there! I've been feeling a bit frazzled with all the recent hot weather here. The stuffy heat is not good for a small badger of ve...