Saturday 24 July 2021

Summertime Lethargy

Hello there!

I've been feeling a bit frazzled with all the recent hot weather here.

The stuffy heat is not good for a small badger of very little brain. It drains my energy, and saps what brain power I have.  

Which has made it difficult to do anything creative this week.

Take the following transcript as evidence:

7:27p.m. Thursday 22nd July 2021

'I need to write about this really interesting subject, but I feel so drained, that opening the laptop lid would be too much, and that I'd melt into the sofa.  Speaking of melting, I wonder if I have any ice-cream in the freezer? Oh, I just suddenly seem to have enough energy to go to freezer, open it and... Oh, look, I do have ice-cream, great!'

(Five minutes later after devouring a large bowl of ice-cream): 

'That ice-cream was really good.  Hmmm, I was about to write about something, but the thought is gone. Maybe if I start a new post, and type randomly it'll come back to me.  I *think* I know what the topic was. Phew, it is warm though.  Perhaps typing will use up what little energy I've got left. Best not to do any writing then.  Don't want to wear myself out.  I wonder if I've got any cordial in the fridge?...'

(...and so it continues for the rest of the evening.)


Now, I know that it's not a good habit to be lazy, although eating ice-cream is a good thing to do.

But the hot weather does effect me in this way.  Which means that some ideas get lost, and some thoughts disappear.

It's because I've not yet worked out how to overcome that summertime lethargy, that burns the green shoots of a creative idea and turns them into ashes and dust in a harsh desert mindscape, that is never pierced by the rolling clouds of thought, or gentle rains of imagination, and where the harsh winds of the blank page, scour the eyes of the writer, who feels the irritation of every little grain of sand, and the stifling heat of the intense sun, whilst their skin burns and eyes itch, looking for an oasis of ideas, where, oh, wait...

Maybe there is a way to funnel those feelings into something creative after all.

How do you overcome the urge to become a sloth in high summer?  I'd love to know in the comments.

Cheerio for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summertime Lethargy

Hello there! I've been feeling a bit frazzled with all the recent hot weather here. The stuffy heat is not good for a small badger of ve...