Saturday 22 May 2021

Poetry - The Riddle of the Cutlery Drawer (April 2020)

Hello there!

This week's poem is a throwback to NaPoWriMo 2020 and based on a prompt from The Poetry Society (UK).


The Riddle of the Cutlery Drawer


I am an eternal enigma,

well at least simnce humanity first sculpted me.

According to evolution,

my species branched out into two distinct life forms

and spread.


Although another theory

suggests that I am a mutant,

a cross-bred mongrel of two other pieces of cutlery.


Maybe I was a happy accident,

forged by a kitchen creator,

a rarity, a mysterious piece

of emblematic abstract art.


A symbol of the constant struggle

to decide which implment is best

to devour food with.


Like two etheral forces

clashing, sparking, 

making plastic magma,

then cooling, forming offspring

sometimes useful for picnics.


Or maybe I'm their unwanted offspring,

an orphan, always forced to take sides

but deciding to be neutral,

unadored by both,

never loved by others,

outcast in the dark fluff encrusted regions 

of the drawer.


Languishing, waiting, yearning 

for escape from this soft-closing prison.


Then light enters, 

a mystic form rises up into my vision,

the deity of the kitchen bellows,

"Shall we take the - ?"

but it struck down by a higher authority, 

"No, just use the - ".


Darkness falls, loneliness returns.


I go back to dreaming about my proud origins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Summertime Lethargy

Hello there! I've been feeling a bit frazzled with all the recent hot weather here. The stuffy heat is not good for a small badger of ve...